Thursday, February 4, 2010

#1

Having grown up watching Studio Ghibli films, the viewing experience now has a pre-determined nature to it. Much like, I would assume, that which Disney is like for people in the US. I come to remember the parts of the film that have had a special role in my upbringing whose influence still lingers today. Viewing Nausicaa, I remembered how I made a huge water color of an Ohmu with the Miebe underneath, how I always love the Versus Colbet song and how I cringe when Nausicaa's foot goes into the acid water. Somethings never change.

However, there is one thing that I know has changed over the years. With my work in both watching films critically and film production, I am now seeing more of the "skill" within the production. I see myself looking at the frame more so than into the frame. Miyazaki, at least in his earlier works, had a grand meticulousness which rivaled that of great live-action film directors such as Kurosawa who gave detailed backstories to the over 100 extras in Seven Samurai. I noticed the placements of certain objects of people on the edges of the frame which was an enjoyable subtlety. It really does not do anything of value for the narrative, but in looking at the film as a piece of auteuristic art, Miyazaki's aesthetic and dedication show up in these parts. Further, since watching Conan last week, I was driven by a hysteria of nostalgia to watch them all. And in comparing the two, there were similarities in how similar situations were put together. One that stands out is the sole individual coming down (from the Baracuda[Conan] and in the finale with the baby Ohmu [Nausicaa]). Each takes a beat which settles the roughened waters and makes a mood shift.

And I really do believe that the viewing experience for Japanese viewers is different from all others. There are indirect appearances of culture which foreigners cannot understand. This is not in the realm of old edo culture and so fourth but rather more of a certain sentimental value. There are onomatopoetic sentiments in Japanese culture which are evoked in Miyazaki films. Because I know, but am not so well versed in American culture I cannot say for sure that these do not exist here, but when I have tried to express this subtle sensation it has come to no avail. People wonder at what they do not know. I wonder what these films say to everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment