Thursday, March 11, 2010

#6

In viewing Porco Rosso, the two things that come to mind most is Marco's voice actor and the music of the film.

First, the actor playing Marco's voice is so distinct with his deep baratone resonance. This gives Marco a 渋い characteristic which totally fits. One thing that I have found interesting in Japanese animation is that the voice actors tend to look like or at least have an aura similar to that of their on-screen counterparts. This man also starred in the Japanese film "Shall we ダンス?” as the main heroine's father. Even in the flesh, he had the same sort of unique presence. Another example is the woman who plays the voice for Ayanami in Evangelion. She too has an aura like her anime character. But perhaps the voice actor with the most resemblance to his screen image is that of Lupin III. The actor has the same bean-like features. I wonder whether it is that the characters come to look like the actor, or the actor to the character.

On another note, I think I enjoy this film's soundtrack more than any other of Miyazaki's work.
I think this may be due to the wide variety and depth. The upbeat march-ike songs are enjoyable as well as the quiet melancholy of the scenes with Gina. Songs such as ”セリビアの写真”, I love so much that I repeat this 40 second clip many times when listening to the soundtrack. Compared to his other works, I wonder if this film could be seen as "more hollywood" than his others. I don't know, but it seems there is something different about this film, 紅の豚。

No comments:

Post a Comment