Friday, April 9, 2010

#9

This next film that we watched, Spirited Away, signifies many different points in Miyazaki's career for me. For one, it is the film where he became dull for me. All the films after this one, I do not like. Even if the films have some good moments, they do not constitute a good film at whole. I wonder why this is, but I can't really grasp it. A friend of mine said that it is this film that Miyazaki started to cut corners - such as in the scene with Chihiro running down stairs. In his past works, he would have actually animated the character going down stairs. However in this piece, the character stayed still while it was the stairs that moved underneath her.

Also when I saw this film for the first time, I really recognized Miyazaki's continued usage of the grandmother character with the distinctive nose. And upon looking back at this, I actually see that it is not in so many of his films that there is such a character. In Japan, it is common knowledge that Miyazaki loves this character, but she has not appeared as much as we may expect.

Another thing I do not understand is how the American film academia can give wonderful remarks about this film and his later films, but fails to do so for his earlier and obviously better work...

No comments:

Post a Comment